Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pretty, Pretty

I know I have a little girl--a really 'girly' little one who loves dresses, pretty things, etc. But this week there were a couple of instances that just made me grin, and laugh at how 'girly' she really is. I say this with such pride because I have this fear that she is going to turn into a cowgirl at some point in her life and only speak to horses and her Dad and probably only wear Wrangler jeans.


Anyway, the tale begins with the purchase on her Christmas dress. I found it randomly, on sale, and it was delivered on Thursday afternoon. When we got home I showed it to her and said we should try it on so we know it if fits. That's where the lovefest with the dress began. She stripped down for me in the kitchen and we got the tights and shiny little black shoes out. She strutted around for a while saying, "Pretty, pretty!" while looking at the dress and the shoes--which do click really loudly on the hard floors. She pranced around long enough that I knew I had a problem when I needed to take it off of her so she could eat. There was kicking, screaming, and yelling about taking the dress off. I was so inwardly proud I was trying to not laugh. I could only think of being in college and trying on wedding dresses with Crystal; and thought, this is where that bride instinct comes from--it gets originated at this age. I would have worn my wedding dress for a year if they'd let me; so I bargained with Paige that evening about her little dress. She got to eat supper with her tights and shoes; but no dress. I hid the Christmas dress in her closet and as long as she doesn't see it; I'll be safe for a few days before she asks about it. It so happened the next day was dress-up at day care even, so she got to wear a different dress Friday and get another 'dress fix.'

Cowboy and I went shopping last night to get a jump on Christmas and we got Paige a pair of slippers--little pink fuzzy Dora ones. I gave them to her this morning so that her feet stay warm since she's always tearing off her socks at home. The reaction was almost that of the dress. "Pretty, pretty!" She wore them for several hours, until I needed to go to the grocery store. Immense discussion followed on why she couldn't wear them to the grocery store; but I did win. She got to wear her her fuzzy "Ugg" looking boots with the pom-poms instead. They at least have outdoor soles! They looked fabulous with her pink sweats.

No comments: