Friday, December 2, 2011
Cramming
So I have been out of college for . . .8 years now. Wow, I must be a grown up now. So its been a while since I have had to study for much of anything. Occasionally for things at work; but its not really a test situation--just new methods, rules, etc. There was an exception last week as I found out I would be getting some insurance licensing in a hurry. There was a miscommunication with some outside people; and they thought everyone attending this meeting/starting this new area was already insured. So I needed to study about 500 pages of material and pass 2 standardized tests at a test center in Bismarck so I would be able to proceed. My superior told his boss how this wasn't terribly fair and he responded that I would do just fine, he was sure of it. So the pressure was on, gulp. So starting with the evening of Thankgiving I started cramming. I went through 2 highlighters, one stack of index cards that I made notes on, and hours spent at the computer doing practice tests. I had to take the tests on Tuesday; and on Monday I had yet to really pass a practice test. Wasn't looking too good. Plus I had been ignoring my family all weekend, and my job duties as I holed up to cram. Poor Paige just wanted to put up the tree, and told me "Mom, we still have turkeys up, can't we get the Christmas tree up?" I felt like a bad mom, but told her we were getting a new one when Mommy was gone most of this week up in Bismarck. Tuesday morning came, and at 6am I was on the road trying not to let my test anxiety get to me. I arrived with time to cram for about an hour and a half. I don't know if it helped; but I passed both tests! Yay. Pressure gone. I learned two major things (other than all the insurance jargon). 1. I don't know how people have children in college and manage to be students and parents--major kudos to those people. 2. I can still fall asleep on textbooks after a mere 5 minutes of reading ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment